The revitalisation of forgotten waterbody.
The Oothu kulam pond in Tiruvannamalai has been a pond with no water capacity. Silt had completely filled up the ponds bed. In August of 2018 E.F.I. started working on this pond located in the south of center, Tiruvannamalai.
The aim is to redevelop the pond regarding to water storage and nature. More and more pond got useless due to heavy dumping and less maintenance. Sludge in the pond reduces the water capacity heavily. During monsoons the pond therefor was not able to hold enough water for the dry season. In order to restore the pond E.F.I. worked on following steps:
- Clean-up from plastic garbage
- De-silting the pond to deepen the pond
- Establishing a box pit for rainwater harvesting
- Raising bunds to prevent further encroachment
- Temperature regulation
- Ground water percolation
- Prevention of waterborne diseases
- Localized climate change combat
The public got involved into cleanups in order to develop a higher environmental awareness generally.
Now the pond is ready for the next monsoons to come.
Volunteer for India & her environment with E.F.I.